08 Mar Food IQ Quiz #2
Food IQ Quiz #2
1. True or false – Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium?
Answer – True
Vitamin D is an essential vitamin required by the body for the absorption of calcium, bone development, immune function and alleviation of inflammation. Vitamin D is naturally made by the body when exposed to sunlight. 20 minutes of sun exposure for Australians is enough to get your daily dose of vitamin D.
Foods high in vitamin D are fish from the sea and egg yolks.
2. Which is higher in potassium, fibre and protein; Avocado or Bananas?
Answer – Avocado
Add avocado to smoothies, spread on toast instead of margarine or blend with spring onion and lime juice for a simple guacamole.
3. Which if these is not a source of carbohydrates for energy?
A. Low fat milk
B. Chicken breast
C. Brown rice
Answer – B. Chicken breast is protein – milk and rice contain carbohydrates
4. What is a serve of fruit?
A serve of fruit is:
A. 1 medium piece, eg, apple, banana, orange, pear
B. 4 dried apricot halves
C. 1/2 cup juice
D. All of the above
Answer – D. It is recommended we eat 2 serves of fruit everyday.
5. What is the name of the family of vegetables that broccoli, brussels sprouts, bok choy and cabbage are all a member of?
These super veggies have it all… vitamins, fibre and disease fighting photochemicals. Try and eat 2 cups of vegetables from the cruciferous family everyday.